Abrasive cutting package for decommissioning
The SABRE™ subsea abrasive cutting package is a flexible severance solution which can be combined with other Claxton innovations to achieve results on wells that cannot be easily severed by mechanical means.
Proven across multiple global campaigns, Claxton’s patented SABRE internal abrasive severance package will cut all the casings in a well, including those with eccentricity, or various annuli contents and casing loading.
SABRE has an extensive track record and has proven to be an invaluable tool based on its successful use on some of the most significant abandonment campaigns in the North Sea. Having cut over 150 multi-string wells in waters up to 130 meters deep, and 28 wells in a single campaign, SABRE makes light work of even composite materials such as cemented casings.
The equipment uses a mixture of air, water and abrasive garnet at up to 1,000 bar to cut through the multiple steel casings and annuli, with the abrasive jet exiting the tool at transonic speeds ensuring optimal cutting performance. The system, when teamed with other Claxton proprietary equipment, forms the backbone to the Claxton rigless abandonment spread.
Claxton offers a full-service cutting and recovery solution. The benefits include:
- Capable of being run inside 6.5⁄8″ casing
- Proven to cut from 6.5⁄8”, through multiple casing out to 30” with water-filled annuli
- Cutting manipulators can be adapted to suit all casing sizes – standard plus special
- The packer system optimises cutting performance through de-watering of the wellbore
- Casings can be cut and recovered simultaneously or individually
- Can be combined with Claxton’s platform, subsea and rigless decommissioning packages
- Minimal modular deck spread which can be made under 10 Te for ageing assets
- Fully NORSOK compliant to Z-015
The SABRE™ package is flexible meaning it can be combined with other Claxton innovations including WellRaizer® to achieve results for even the smallest of platforms, making it ideal for the ageing platforms in the Southern North Sea.
our expert view
“SABRE™ has been used on many North Sea decommissioning campaigns, a recent highlight being the complete severance and recovery solution for 28 wells. During the recovery operation, the casings were drilled, pinned and recovered as a single multi-string recovery. The Claxton team even designed a compact marine growth removal tool especially for this recovery process to operate within the confined space at the production deck.”