Drilling and pinning machines
The key to safe casing string recovery
Safely and efficiently secure multiple casing strings during well recovery operations with Claxton’s drilling and pinning system – available as a single or double unit suitable for both surface and subsea applications.
Offered with flexibility in mind, Claxton’s drilling and pinning system can be provided as part of a package that includes rapid cut bandsaws and/or SABRE™ subsea abrasive cutting for severance and hydraulic jacking systems during the recovery phase of a project. Our methodology enables the safe simultaneous retrieval of multiple casing strings and is designed to work independently of rig operations.
As a cold work technique, our method is especially suited to abandonment operations where adjacent wells may still be in production. For end of life platforms, Claxton’s method of drilling and pinning the conductor below the sea level and pulling it up by the internal strings means that any potential problems caused by corroded casing are mitigated.
When compared to conventional methods, using Claxton’s technology to drill, pin and recover the conductor means less deck space is required for the recovered casings; simplifying disposal logistics and ultimately reducing overall costs.
Features of Claxton’s drilling and pinning system include:
- Single drilling units available for applications where access is an issue
- Double drilling and pinning units available for simultaneous boring of both sides of the conductor and casings
- Modular design with multiple handling points for ease of installation and operation
- All units certified for zone II applications
- Systems suitable for surface or subsea applications
- Conductor end caps provided to mitigate dropped object potential
Claxton has significant experience in drilling and pinning aged conductors and provides surface and subsea tools to ensure safe recovery.