Project profile: Statoil Gulfaks drilling riser system delivery
The project had a number of interface and engineering challenges the eventual riser would have to overcome, including:
- Increased environmental loading and water depth
- Using a new jack-up rig from Seadrill – the West Elara
- Concerns about potential over-fatigue of the FMC wellhead
- An extend analysis program compressed lead times for the technical development and delivery of the system
Operational enhancements: Claxton supplied pre-studded joints to reduce make-up time (left) and our proprietary hydraulic riser handling tooling to improve efficiency and safety.
Claxton worked closely with Statoil and augmented our own capability with technologies from our sister companies – notably optimised flanges (for reduced make-up times) and real-time riser monitoring to enable two operational benefits…
- An early warning in case of unexpected high loadings
- The ability to compare ‘real-world’ riser performance with the riser analysis – delivering operational insight for future projects.
The analysis also revealed a potential for vortex induced vibration on the riser. Claxton supplied fairings that swivelled with current direction to offset this.
We supplied a full equipment spread and personnel to run the riser – and Statoil’s campaign concluded successfully, on schedule and without incident.
Unique technology: The Gulfaks riser was fitted with sensors to monitor stress and provide an early indication of issues. Additionally one of our bespoke HPU’s powered a Claxton-designed tension system.
THINKING ABOUT YOUR RISER REQUIREMENTS?
Claxton’s riser engineers have been supplying risers since the early 1990s and we’ve been responsible for over 190 riser projects since 2005 alone.
Learn more about how we can make your next project happen by downloading our riser case study pack.
Drilling Riser and Tensioning Case Study Pack
Download the Claxton drilling riser and tensioning case study pack to discover how we have saved clients time and money through innovation.