Riser handling tools
In order to assure safe, fast riser handling Claxton has developed a complete suite of riser handling tools to enhance drilling riser running. A full range of internal and external tools to assist with fast, safe handling are available – including our NT-2 riser handling tool, which saved $2.9m in rig time in a recent deployment offshore Norway.
Our NT-2 riser handling tool provides a means to fully support the Drilling Riser System during installation and recovery operations with the facility to circulate and fully pressure test the Drilling Riser System remotely.
NT-2 drilling riser handling tool features
- Able to perform a well-bore pressure test of 7,000psi (482.6bar) while holding 308Te in tension
- Prior to BOP installation the handling tool can act as a contingent method for applying 400Te of tension to the Drilling Riser System (with no internal bore pressure)
- Interfaces, by means of an adaptor to either a Grayloc 192 or 196 gasket seal profiled 18-3/4”-15M NT-2 pin
- Visual indicator rods to show tool locked and unlocked status
- Manual override feature to lock and unlock the tool.
Design verification Our tooling is DNV approved and verified in accordance with DNV-OS-E101, API 16F, API 6A, API 8C, API 7G. Complete supply Our tools come DNV 2.7-1 certified container for transportation and storage needs of the tool. The hydraulic NT-2 handling tool is supplied with a combined HPU & Umbilical reel to power all tool functions. Claxton’s riser handling tools are just one part of an unrivalled subsea and surface riser capability – we’ve been running risers for decades and the experienced we’ve earned over hundreds of offshore mobilisation was used to develop our tooling suite.