Statoil chooses CAMSCAN for inspection and retrieval
Claxton was asked by Statoil SP Gas AS, Tehran, Iran, to provide visual and tooling assistance with the South Pars 6, 7 and 8 tieback programme, which consisted of three subsea wells to be tied back to the platform. Help was required because there was marine growth in the retrieval socket of the trash cap and the tieback threads/seal area, and a damaged retrieval socket in wellhead trash cap was hindering stabbing of the retrieval tool.
Claxton supplied and ran a CAMSCAN™ system, which was called-off from stock at short notice, to:
- Support the retrieval of a damaged trash cap through the platform guides
- Support the inspection of the tieback threads/sealing areas for damage and cleanliness
- Observe the running of the bottomhole assembly through the platform guides
- Observe the cleanup operation
- View the damage to the trash cap and assist in its retrieval.
The camera functioned successfully throughout the tieback operations. Because the damage to the trash cap was viewed at the earliest opportunity, there were fewer latching attempts, which saved time and allowed a successful retrieval to be achieved.